Saturday, June 2, 2012

Acoma Seed Run

Those of you that know me, and I'm presuming that's most anybody that'd be reading this, know how much I vocally support the Acoma (Sky City) Seed Run.  It's one of the few times that you can visit a reservation and feel heartily welcomed into the community.  Even though the race fees are but a pittance in the grand scheme of things, the people of Acoma are just extremely grateful to have you there with them on Memorial Day.

This year was no different.  I went, I ran, and I, along with everyone else, reflected on why we had that day off as a holiday.  The running bit worked out pretty well...I was healthy for a change (as in previous years I had been suffering from one ailment or another leading up to this race), and managed to finish second while setting a P.R. on the course by five minutes for a time of 54:24ish.  It was a good day to run.

The gang from the Albuquerque Road Runners.  I'm second from the right sporting my Dukes Track Club shirt.  Everyone goes home with pottery it seems.

I think that if I move away from New Mexico, the one race that I'd come back for every year would be the Acoma Seed Run.  I can't stress enough how rewarding of an experience it is to interact with that community and to see how much they appreciate you being there.  If you're interested in joining me next year, just let me know and I'll sign you up!

No comments:

Post a Comment