Thursday, September 5, 2013

The Desert Classic

(February 2nd, 2013) As one of the pillars of this blog is, presumably, about running, I thought I'd include a blog entry on running.  At the start of February, partly to be with my sister on Dad's birthday, and partly to run a tune up race before my big marathon, I headed down to Phoenix to run the Desert Classic.  Mark and Kim both came with, we all had a good time (save for the getting up super early, but that's always an annoying aspect of racing), and photos are below.

Looking back, I think that I need to do fewer tune up races before marathons.  Granted, I only ran two half marathons this spring before my marathon, but they ended up being very disruptive to my training. It was difficult to get into a good rhythm as I'd just start to get into a full week of running before I had to ease back for the race.  It took me a few years of marathon running, but I think I'm finally learning this lesson now. I think this is well illustrated by my running log for the new year:

1/1-1/6: 75 miles
1/7-1/13: 99.5 miles (and for the next couple days I was over 100 miles for the 7 day running total)
1/14-1/20: 90 miles
1/21-1/27: 67 miles (starting to back off for the Desert Classic)
1/28-2/3: 57.5 miles (way down from mid January!)
2/4-2/10: 91 miles (and back up on the roller coaster of spring miles!)
2/11-2/17: 83.5 miles
2/18-2/24: 94 miles
2/25-3/3: 59 miles (backing down for the Swamp Rabbit Half Marathon)
3/4-3/10: 46 miles (even farther down than for the Desert Classic!)
3/11-3/17: 76 miles
3/18-3/24: 81 miles
3/25-3/31: 81.5 miles
4/1-4/7: 59 (backing down for Boston)
4/8-4/14: 31 miles (taking it really easy for Boston, on 4/15)

I like some amount of roller coaster in my running, but the drop from 90 to 67, then the jump from 57.5 to 91 is just too much.  One day I'll find a nice compromise, and I'm sure you'll hear about it here.


You really can see me thinking 'ugh, this is too early.'


Cruising in to finish 3rd at a time pretty close to my PR.  Not bad considering you get to run up and down a big hill essentially...


Mark and I placed second and third respectively.  A good day for the Dukes (our track club).


People (Kim and Elizabeth) complained that we didn't look tired enough, so this is how we tried to look tired after the race.

Next stop: Seattle!

No comments:

Post a Comment