Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Oxford Revisited

(April 6th-12th, 2013) I seem to be trying to find any slight excuse to go back to Oxford.  I truly did love my stay there and have come to think of it as a home away from home. Kinda silly, I know, since I was only there for three months, but being able to live in the heart of town, walk everywhere, and just to be immersed in an academic environment with very few responsibilities was so liberating.  I think that last point is key though...very few responsibilities.  I know that when I return to academia that won't be the case...

But, I digress. At the start of April I found myself headed back to Oxford in order to attend a conference and to catch up with a few of my colleagues there.  While I was there for just about a week, which is never long enough, I managed to have a few productive experiences and to catch up with all of my colleagues.  Consequently, not too much sight seeing, but I did manage to poke my head into a few places that I hadn't been before.


A ploughman's platter and Young's Double Chocolate Stout on draft from the King's Arms.


The only way that I drink coffee...iced and mixed with tea, served with Malaysian noodles at Maken La.


The courtyard of Christ Church College, where my conference was housed.


And the interior of Christ Church itself.


The conference banquet was a beautifully presented meal.  First course was an oak smoked roast salmon nicoise (above), and the main course was poached chicken supreme with morels in a Madeira cream sauce with truffle mash, asparagus, and spinach (not pictured as I was too busy with work conversations...). My colleague at Christ Church, and the staff there, really outdid themselves to put on a good conference in this amazing venue.  And, as you can tell from the food, they knew how to be hospitable hosts too.


Last, but not least, we made a trip to Edamame, the best Japanese restaurant in Oxford. On Thursdays they have a sushi night.  Fantastic.  Though it's very small and there's always a looooooong line, unless you get there early.  Well worth the hassle to get in though.


Virtually whenever you go, the menu consists of the daily specials and not much else.  So, fresh, classic Japanese dishes, and always fantastically good!

Next stop: Boston.

No comments:

Post a Comment