Thursday, October 25, 2012

Chicago, Day 5

(August 15th) And now back to our regularly scheduled program.  My attempts to get caught up have been somewhat thwarted by my computer deciding that it was time for a holiday...it's back in Albuquerque now, leaving me to find other means to write this.

Day 5 in Chicago: a welcome break from nonstop conference activities, and a chance to do some sight seeing!  Atop my list was Millenium Park...it seems that this is the place to see in Chicago if you only have one free day.  Deapite all the build up and hype surrounding it, it managed to exceed my expectations!

The park, like so much of the lake front, is a sweet break from the urban confines of the metropolis that surrounds it.  Trees, greenery (which someone from the desert can never get enough of), and art dot this expansive park.  From the outset, you're greeted by two video-integrated towers that are set amidst a large water feature, which had kids and adults alike making a splash.

Welcome to Millenium Park.
Of course, the quintessential feature of Millenium Park is the Cloud Gate (often called the bean, or by silly me, el frijole grande...perhaps I've been in Nuevo Mexico for too long...)

The Cloud Gate, aka, the bean.
The obligatory self portrait in the bean.
Immediately East of the bean is an open air theater where, throughout the summer, various groups such as the Chicago Opera perform for free.  Understandably, the place was filled to capacity this summer evening with people picnicing and taking in some classical opera...

Beethoven performed by the Chicago Opera.
I couldn't dally too long because I was scheduled to meet up with my European friends...Pascal and Bernhard from Germany, Rob from Oxford, whom you've already been introduced to, and Jenny and Dan from England.


Left to right: Pascal, Bernhard, Rob, Jenny, Me, and Dan.
And, just because I can't resist, one last picture of the bean near sunset

Sunset behind the bean.
Photos out of the way, we headed off in search of real deep dish pizza, and boy did we hit the jackpot with Giordano's!  I'll let the image speak for itself...personally, I'm having a hard time not salivating while typing this up:


Deep dish pizza by Giordano's.
I found it interesting how the sauce was atop the cheese and most toppings (the jalapenos were added via our request).  Sooooo wonderfully good.

Short post as I'm sans computer really...but hopefully I'll get that fixed sooner than later.  Two more days in Chicago to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment