Friday, April 10, 2015

A Night Alone in Zurich

(September 21st, 2013) As Kim made her way across the Atlantic, I was left with a night to myself in Zurich. I had instantly fallen in love with the city upon disembarking from the train. I think that the warm weather and blue skies had something to do with that after my time in Stuttgart. 

After dropping my bags off in my hotel, I set out for a ten mile jaunt along the waterfront, passing through the old town first. Like many other European cities, old town Zurich is a giant pedestrian mall. I love those car free areas, and deeply wish that we had more communities like that planned throughout the US. Perhaps one mistake that I made when I first arrived in Zurich was assuming what the exchange rate was. During my run, I saw hotdog stands selling hotdogs for, approximately, 7 Swiss Francs. Somehow, I got it into my head that the exchange rate must have been 3:2 (oh boy, was I mistaken when I later realized it was 1:1).

After my run, I headed to Oepfelchammer for dinner. I sat in the old room where only water and wine could be served with dinner (nothing with carbonation) due to the age of it.  The room had hundreds of years of names carved into the walls, tables, door, and rafters.  Character.



Dinner itself was amazing. For my first course, venison carpaccio with poppyseed mousse.  So creamy. Sometimes a dish is meant to have all ingredients eaten together, but not this one...each portion was so good on its own.  The tender and smokey venison carpaccio almost melted in your mouth, and was paired almost perfectly with an aged balsamic and juicy, juicy radishes.  The poppy seed mousse was a striking contrast, smooth and creamy...perfect for spreading on bread.




Next, for my main course, wachtelbrustchen an portosauce auf ratatouille serviert mit orangenrisotto: quail with ratatouille and risotto.  By contrast, this was meant to have all ingredients eaten together.  The savory quail, the creamy risotto (with a hint of citrus zest), and the tart ratatouille.


To drink, a local rotwein...himmelsleiterli from a grape I've never heard of before (Beerenaromatik?), and for dessert, apple beignets with vanilla sauce. Served with quince, mini kiwis (mini kiwis!), blueberries, and gooseberry.  Those of you that have been to New Orleans know that one beignet is decadent.  Well, 4... The apple tasted subtle but nice. There was actually a layer of apple within the beignet that made it even more fantastic.


Afterwards, a stroll through the city by moonlight before turning in for bed...




No comments:

Post a Comment