Friday, June 29, 2012

BBQ - Williamsburg Take #2

(June 25th, 2012) In case you didn't pick up on my last food-related post, I have a soft spot in my heart for soul food.  I suppose that's the Southern upbringing in me coming out, or perhaps it's more rooted in shared bonding experiences with my father.  Whatever the case may be, I planned on breaking up the drive from DC to Kitty Hawk with a stopover at Pierce's Pit BBQ for lunch.  Pierce's is a, well, used to be a tiny, road side dive off of I-64 in Virginia near Lightfoot (the first Williamsburg exit if you're headed East from Richmond).  Now, as you can tell from that website, it's grown into something a bit larger and fancier, but the soul of the BBQ is still there.  Nothing aesthetically fantastic, it's simply some good eats.

Jumbo sandwich (coleslaw on the bottom, out of sight), and sweet potato sticks.
What makes it so good?  Well, what makes any great pork dish so good?  Slowly cooking the meat for a looooong time (and sometimes in a scrumptious sauce).  Isn't that the secret to a good carne adovada?  For this BBQ, it's no different.  And, as this is a Southern institution, it's complete with coleslaw hiding on the bottom side of the sandwich...the contrast of the sweet, hot tender meat is met perfectly by the cold, crunchy, crisp taste of the coleslaw.  Paired with it was a side of sweet potato sticks.  I broke one open in the photograph for you to see how the insides are, essentially, molten sweet potato just waiting to ooze out.  So good.

No comments:

Post a Comment