Thursday, November 8, 2012

Vienna at Night

(September 11th) The organ music poured out of St. Stephan's Cathedral as I and my fellow conference attendees took in a concert.  Seeing the full array of organ pipes looming over the organist reminded me of all the times my dad would gleefully talk about how the new organ at St. Andrew's by the Sea was going to be magnificent since they had constructed a large set of pipes from two other organs. 

The small organ (just right of the altar on the far left), and medium sized organ (center) from the night's concert.
The concert was performed on two of the three organs in the cathedral.  The third loomed over us as a gargantuan collection of pipes begging to sound out.

The altar of St. Stephan's Cathedral.
After the concert, we were given unfettered access to the cathedral to photograph until our hearts were content.

One of the many smaller altars.
The last site for me before leaving the cathedral was this pulpit near the entrance.  Due to the shadows, the intricate carvings seemed more menacing than anything else, and the fine details towards the base seemed to be alive, as if mice or snakes would fall out at any given moment...

A pulpit that became surprisingly creepy at night.
Once outside, we turned around to see the cathedral bathed in light, much like the rest of Vienna.

St. Stephan's at night.
The constant flow of people, though, surprised me.  Even though it was getting on quite late, there were people everywhere still throughout the city...

St. Stephan's and the constant flow of people.
Even as I made my way along narrow alleys back to my hotel, the constant din of late night diners, the revelry of bars, and the flow of people never abated...

Even alleys at night were still bustling with activity well past my bedtime.
Stay tuned, next up is food in Vienna.

No comments:

Post a Comment